Thursday, November 26, 2009

Therapy Update

Since my last update about the status of Caden's therapies, we have had more answers to prayer. I was able to talk to a friend of mine who is a pediatric PT and is a provider through Alta CA Regional Center where Caden receives his therapies through. I asked her what some of the families were doing that she worked with. Just trying to find out if she had any suggestions for me of ways to get things resolved. She asked if I had already talked to my insurance company about whether or not they cover these services. I told her I had but she asked if I had specifically said the therapies were for developmental delay. I hadn't used those specific terms but I had made the assumption that they knew that. She suggested I call them again and ask about that.

Great suggestion! I called my insurance company and asked our representative if it made a difference if the therapies were for developmental delays and she said they didn't cover ANYTHING related to that! I realize for most people this isn't the answer they would want. But in my case, that is EXACTLY what I wanted to hear. So, I needed to provide a letter of denial to Alta to show them that my insurance doesn't cover these things and then they would continue to cover it. However the only form of “denial” I had was the page from our health plan handbook that specifically stated it didn't cover services related to developmental delays. I emailed that to our service coordinator and asked her if that would be sufficient. And, I also said I wanted to have an answer in writing so I had some proof of what I had been told.

It took several days, but she ended up emailing me back with confirmation that her supervisor had agreed that this constituted a denial and they had funded his OT. This was amazing news! That means, his PT and feeding therapy will be able to continue with his amazing therapists without interruption. And, he is scheduled to start OT at the same clinic next week. I am absolutely thrilled!

I am still fighting the battle for speech therapy. Every time I ask our service coordinator about it, she ignores me. I think she's hoping I will drop it. But I am not willing to do that. Caden needs to have it to help him learn to compensate for the physical vocal cord defects he has. So next week I will be following up on that and we'll see where I get.

In the meantime, I am immensely grateful for where we are at and that Caden can get the help he needs. Don't get a Mama fired up because that's when things start to happen. I'm in fighting mode and am not about to give up! God is with us through everything and I know he will not leave us. Because I am posting on Thanksgiving, I want to say how thankful I am for the progress we've made.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good news..I remember our Dr in Standord repeating over and over to us how WE had to be our children's advocates..fight for what they need! Nobody else is going to. Sometimes feels like you're going against a brick wall. I'm so glad we have prayer!! How many times that is our ONLY answer--
Sherri Giesbrecht

Unknown said...

Glad to hear things are working out! :) Keep up the fight!