Saturday, January 16, 2010

Caden's Birthday Celebration

A week ago we celebrated Caden's 1st birthday. Reflecting on the last year is a little overwhelming. There are so many emotions, both good and bad! The immense joy of Caden being born followed by the incredible lows of him having 5 surgeries in a 5-week-period and spending the first 8 weeks of his life in the hospital. Then the amazing joy of bringing him home! The year continued with it's roller coaster ride of emotions. Caden had periods of great health followed by various procedures, surgeries or hospitalizations. And the cycle continues. Thankfully though he is doing amazing right now!

On Saturday, January 9, Caden celebrated his 1 year birthday! That is a milestone he wasn't expected to reach, according to almost all the doctors we saw during my pregnancy. We were advised to terminate the pregnancy because he would not live after he was born. They said he didn't have a chance at life. We are so grateful we trusted in a higher power and allowed God to intervene in Caden's life. Our faith in Him is what has gotten us through everything and will continue to sustain us over the next many years ahead.

On Sunday, we had a party with immediate family. Greg's parents, Greg's sister and her fiance were all here. (Most of my family was out of the country on a trip to India so they couldn't make it.) We put up a banner and had balloons, and I baked a cupcake for Caden and a big cake for the rest of us. I knew that Caden wasn't really going to be interested in eating his cupcake, but I was hoping we could at least get him to play with it and smear the frosting around.

When Greg set the cupcake in front of Caden with the lit candle on it, Caden reached to grab it and everybody in the room shouted and scared him half to death. Poor baby cried! It ended up being a little traumatizing for him because of that. But he recovered and ended up laughing a little bit. He really mushed the cupcake and frosting around and got the chocolate EVERYWHERE! With a little help, he got some on his lips, tasted it and gagged slightly. Oh well, we tried!












Caden had a good day. He enjoyed his new presents, had fun playing with family and smearing frosting everywhere. He is such a sweet, mellow, happy baby and for that we are truly blessed! I know the years ahead will not be easy. He has many issues which will continue to be a challenge for him and us. But I know that he is our special gift and I am amazed at how he has touched our lives and the lives of many others!

As I mentioned in my last post, I am working on a special book to honor this momentous occasion. I am compiling all the letters, notes and photos from everyone into a digital book that I am going to have printed. I am going to get two copies so that we can have one and Caden can have one when he gets older. This was the best way I could think to honor this wonderful milestone without exposing him to many germs by having a big party with lots of friends and family. If you haven't already emailed me something for this book, I would love to hear from you. It is not too late! See the post before this one for more details.

Thank you all for your prayers for Caden since before he was born. He is proof that God is real and present in our lives. What a testimony Caden will have as he grows up! I look forward to celebrating many more birthdays with him. :)

1 comments:

Gina and the Gang said...

Happy Birthday Big Boy! I am so glad he's here, and is smiling! I can't wait to see what the next year brings for him!