Wednesday, August 17, 2011

1st Day of Kindergarten

On Wednesday, August 17, Kyler had has 1st day of Kindergarten. I can't believe my firstborn is old enough to be in Kindergarten!!! I still remember the day he was born like it was yesterday. I suppose all moms feel that way about the birth of their children. It is truly amazing how fast time flies by!!!

I really struggled with where to send him. We knew he would be attending either Sacramento Adventist Academy (SAA) or Orangvale Adventist School. SAA is about 5 minutes from our house and Orangevale is about 20-25 minutes away. I have to say that is really the only thing that was holding me back from wholeheartedly choosing Orangevale. I have many friends whose children have had the Kindergarten teacher there and have such glowing things to say about her. Mrs. Altman truly is an amazing teacher! So, that is what my heart was telling me all along. But I felt like with Caden's busy schedule of therapies, I really should consider SAA because it was so close and it would be much easier to get Kyler to/from school. In the end, we chose Orangevale because we felt it was where he would get the most individual attention and the best start to his school years.

So, on the 17th, Greg and I both went with him to his first day. Our biggest challenge that morning was getting him out of bed early enough for him to get there on time. They start at 8:15 so he has to be up by 7 in order to allow us enough time to get there in the morning. That is an early start for a boy I had to wake up at 8 am the last two years for preschool at 9! But once we got Kyler to school he was so excited to see a chair with his name on it! He couldn't believe he had his very own chair and cubby and mailbox. It was so much fun to see the joy in his eyes.

He really loves his teacher and his classmates. And one of the other reasons I love the school is because there are only 7 kids in his class. The first week they only had 6 but one more boy started the 2nd week. And, out of 7 kids, there are 6 boys!!! I know that the small class size will allow Kyler to get the individual attention he needs to succeed in his first year of school.

Mrs. Altman is such a wonderful teacher. We are so blessed to have her for Kyler. The drive has added a lot more scheduling problems to my life but it is worth it and I am making it work. I know this is the right place when Kyler comes home singing Bible songs and telling me the stories he learned from the Bible. It makes me cry tears of joy when I see what a wonderful school this is and the positive Christian foundation it is giving my son. We are blessed!

My big boy on his 1st day of school!

His teacher, Mrs. Altman

His very own chair, one of the things that made him most excited!

Kyler with his 5 classmates and his teacher

0 comments: