Sunday, August 7, 2011

Congenital Heart Walk

On Saturday, August 6, I participated in the Congenital Heart Walk in Oakland, CA. Kyler and Caden came with me as well. Greg had another commitment so he couldn't make it. There were a couple other Mended Little Hearts of Sacramento families that made the drive to the bay area to participate also.

This is the first year I have done this walk. Last year we did the American Heart Association (AHA) Heart Walk in Sacramento. I enjoyed doing that walk but it is much larger and mostly focused on heart disease and stroke. Very little attention actually goes to pediatric congenital heart defect research and technology advancement. So when I found out about the Congenital Heart Walk in Oakland, I decided this is where I wanted to focus my fund-raising efforts.

It is a MUCH smaller scale than the AHA walk but that was okay with me. I'm not exactly sure how many people walked, but maybe 75-100??? One of the fun things for me was 2 of my cousins coming to walk with me. I haven't seen Hannah in about 2 years and I haven't seen her sister Emily in probably 10 years or more. I actually can't remember. But it was so fun to catch up with them on our 5K walk. Thank you both so much for coming to walk with me!

It was pretty cool because I ended up being the number 1 individual fundraiser for the walk. There was a team that raised more money than I did, but I raised the most by any 1 person. :) I am so excited to raise that money for such a good cause, especially because times are tough for everyone these days. I had some very generous people donate larger sums of money to help make this happen. What a blessing!

With our Mended Little Hearts of Sacramento Group

The two reasons I walk!

Me and the boys with cousins, Hannah and Emily

0 comments: