Monday, May 18, 2009

Potty Training Update

Since my last post about potty training Kyler, a few things have happened. This last week a friend of mine from church was able to take Kyler for a couple days and work with him on pooping in the toilet. On Monday, although she tried, he would just not do it. On Tuesday, she was able to take him for more hours and in the afternoon, he finally pooped in the potty! She called me to tell me about it and was so excited. She said he was so proud of himself and kept saying, “I did it!”. So we decided to see how he did for me on Wednesday and if he pooped, we would continue working with him on our own. So, Wednesday morning, we were at the cardiologist's office for Caden's echo and we were in the waiting room. My mom was watching Kyler play and all of a sudden he stopped for a second, she grabbed him and took him to the potty and he pooped! He had gone a tiny bit in his diaper first but he finished it in the potty. He was so proud of himself he wanted to run back and tell me all about it. So great! Then, that day after lunch before he went to his room for quiet time, my mom put him on the potty again and this time he did it all in the potty. We thought we were on the track to being potty trained.

Then on Thursday, we had some errands to run in the morning, but I planned out the potty stops along the way so we could get him to poop. Each place, he would try but nothing came out. Then, we ended up at the park with some friends. The park had no potty and he ended up going in his diaper. Bummer! But what was I going to do? I don't have a potty chair yet (will have one by the end of this weekend though) so there wasn't really another option for him. But he ended up going in his diaper again later that day also. Then, on Friday, same thing. He went several times in his diaper even though we were watching him like a hawk waiting for any sign of him going. He would just sit on the potty and say “I can't do it!”. It's so frustrating to know he can do it now but just won't. I know he'll get there someday but I feel like that day is too far away! Thank you all for your comments and emails regarding potty training. I know he won't go to college in diapers, but I am really DONE with them. If anybody has any tips they would like to share on this topic, please do!

0 comments: