Saturday, May 2, 2009

Potty Training

As if life wasn't busy enough with all Caden's special needs, we have a 3-year-old who needs to be potty trained. I realize that all parents go through this struggle of potty training their children, and they often have to deal with younger siblings when they go through the process. But, somehow, this task seems insurmountable to me right now!

Kyler is capable of staying dry and peeing on the potty as long as I take him every 45 minutes or so. However, he WILL NOT poop on the potty. He just won't do it. I have spent many hours with him in the bathroom trying to get him to do so. I read books to him, I show him a jar of lollipops he can have as soon as he goes. I have done everything I can think of but this stubborn child will not do it.

I thought if I put him directly in underwear (which he was very excited about), if he went in his underwear once, he would realize how much he didn't like it and he would then decide to go in the potty. Unfortunately, I was wrong! One day he had been doing really well in underwear staying dry, but he had not pooped yet. I sat with him in the bathroom for as long as I could get him to stay there but he wouldn't produce anything. So I finally gave up. Then, not more than 15 minutes later, he came to me and told me, “I pooped.” And, sure enough, in his underwear!!! So, I did my best to clean it up without throwing up myself. Then, he did it two more times that day! That is just more than I can take. Because in the midst of all of this, somehow I have to feed Caden, give him his medications and pump myself. Oh, and somewhere in there, Kyler and I have to eat. I honestly don't know how other people deal with this.

My mother-in-law thought she would get him to go on the potty, but only succeeded in tanking him up enough so that he ended up pooping on the lawn in their back yard. So, apparently he is stubborn enough and has decided he is just not going to do it. I have talked to a friend at church who is going to try to take him for a week and get him potty trained. She has trained many children and doesn't have small children to care for so there is a possibility she could be successful. I am praying this is the case. Because I have had my fill of 3-year-old poopy diapers and underwear! Wish us luck!

4 comments:

Heather and Shawn said...

Oh Carey! I'm just sitting here chuckling to myself. I know it's not funny for you right now, but it will be something that you will laugh at later! I've just gone through the same stubborness with Lily. I also remember a very wet trip to Kmart as I'm buzzing Emma around in a cart (dripping the whole way) asking any and all associates I saw where the bathroom was (no one was very helpful). When we finally found it, I was trying to get Emma on the potty while holding Lily in my arms, as I had left our wet and dripping cart out in the store with some wet merchandise in it. I was completely horrified and embarrassed at the time, but now it's amusing. And of course, I've never gone back to Kmart....j/k.

Anonymous said...

Jonah and Kyler are related:) Jonah still to this day (at age 6)has a problem stopping to go poop. I so understand your struggles here but can only imagine your struggles with dealing with Caden as well. I was told by many that they won't go to college pooping their pants and it is only a small part of life but in the moment it seems so overwhelming. Praying for you!
Megan

Anonymous said...

Had the same problem with Michael, my oldest. Dr. said I was too hard on him and it was the only thing he could control....so he did. I put a jar of his favorite candy on the bathroom counter and told him he could have one whenever he pooped in the potty. Then I just put him in pullups and ignored the whole subject. After he ask for candy and was told NO for a couple days he suddenly decided he would use the potty and that was that. Good luck!! Just remember...no child ever went to college in diapers.

Anonymous said...

It will happen. Yes, Ky and I sat for over an hour in the bathroom with two brand new talking "Cars" cars as the reward. He did try. He'd take standing up breaks so his little legs wouldn't go to sleep. He even suggested "eating some more oatmeal" with no prompts from Grandma to help the process. Then he would say, "it won't work." I still have the cars once he is successful...Grandma Mary