Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Hearts of Hope Meeting

Last night, we had our monthly Hearts of Hope support group meeting. Before the meeting a few of us went to dinner and socialized. I had such a good time talking with other heart moms. Listening to some of the things they are going through with their kids help me be more prepared for what we might face in a few years as Caden gets older. This group is going to be very important to me over time.

At the meeting, Dr. Teimour Nasirov, came to meet the group and answer any questions we might have. Teimour is a pediatric cardiovascular surgeon who just started working at Sutter Memorial Hospital in Sacramento. We got to know him while we were at Stanford. He did his training there under Dr. Reddy who did Caden's surgery. Teimour is also the doctor who came to our house to remove the stitches from Caden after we returned home. Some of you may remember me writing about that a few months ago. Anyway, it was so great to see him again and we were so excited for him to get to see Caden.

It was great to have him at the meeting. He really wants to support Hearts of Hope in any way he can and said he loved the group's blog. He is such a nice guy! He wanted a chance to hold Caden before he left for the night and had us take a picture on his phone so that he could show Dr. Reddy. He heard that Caden was having his bronchoscopy/endoscopy/ph probe done at Sutter Memorial on Friday and wanted to know what time so he could stop by and see us. That is so sweet of him to want to take time out of his busy schedule to come see us.
Teimour holding Caden

The closer it gets to Friday, the more nervous I get. We got a call from the hospital today letting us know Caden's procedures are scheduled for 8 am with us needing to arrive at 6 am. I'm not actually nervous about the procedures themselves, it's more about the anesthesia. They use a sedative but do not put him on a ventilator which I am happy about. It's just that this is the first procedure of any kind that he has had done since we left the hospital in March. He's had echos and EKG's, but nothing that involved needles, IV's, or anesthesia. Since we know he is a hard stick I'm not looking forward to them getting a line for the IV. We welcome your prayers this week as we get ready for Friday. And, of course, on Friday, we really would like your prayers for Caden as he goes through these tests.

2 comments:

Valerie said...

Hey hon,

We will be at the cabin untill Friday night. Is there anyway you can update me via cell phone, 916-799-2508. Carl and I would like to know how things are going.

I am thinking you will be very important to our group as well, you have already shown so much enthusiasm and compassion.

Valerie

The Rietkerk's said...

Hello,
We will definitely be praying for you guys this week. I bet it was great to see a familiar face last night. I have been meaning to contact you and tell you that I would love to get together with you. We are totally ready for visitors. Whenever things settle down for you guys let me know. We are starting to gear up for our next surgery...I am getting very nervous also. Take care. We'll be praying for your family!!