Thursday, September 17, 2009

Kyler's 1st Day of Preschool

On Tuesday, September 8, Kyler had his first day of preschool. I have really been looking forward to this day for awhile and so has Kyler. He really needs something more than I am able to give him at home. He needs a structured, environment where he can play, do art, and learn social behaviors. And I think it will really help him as he learns to listen and obey the teachers as well. He is going to a Christian school which is very close to our house. Proximity was very important to me when choosing a school because I didn't want to spend all morning in the car. It is less than five minutes away and goes from 9-Noon on Tuesday and Thursday mornings.

On the first day of school, he was so excited! I made him oatmeal for breakfast and Greg made him a green smoothie. We wanted him to have a full tummy and lots of energy for his big day. Greg and I both went to the school to drop him off. He could hardly wait to get there. He jumped out of the car, put on his backpack and started running toward his classroom. He couldn't get there fast enough. As a parent, it is so great to see the pure joy in your child's face. What a blessing!

We signed him in and he went off to play. I had a hard time getting pictures of him because he was so excited about everything. But I had to document the first day. I stuck around for a few minutes and watched him play. He definitely was not concerned about me leaving him which is a good thing! He said, “Are you going to leave me here?” When I said yes, he got a huge grin on his face.

It was a good morning. I came home and put Caden down for a nap and I got so much done around the house. It was so quiet! When I returned to pick Kyler up, one of the teachers told me he was quite a “character.” I'm not sure that's a good thing or not. But it was the first day, so hopefully he'll settle down and get used to the routine quickly.

Now that he's been going for a couple weeks now, he seems to be settling into the routine. He loves going and is happy when I come to get him. Overall, it's been a very good experience. When I ask him about his day, the first thing he tells me about is what they had for snack. I think that's hilarious. Of all the things he could tell me about, food is at the top of the list. Then over the next few hours, he will usually tell me more about his day and what he did. It's so sweet because he starts singing the songs they teach them like “If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands.” And he will say things about how Jesus loves him because he is special. I LOVE that! It makes me feel like we made the right decision about where to send him. He has adjusted so well and is truly happy. I hope it continues.

Here are some pictures from the get-acquainted day and the first day of preschool:
Eating his breakfast of oatmeal and a green smoothie

Posing with the proud Daddy

Now it's Mommy's turn :)

Big boy with his Cars backpack

Running to get into preschool as fast as he can!

Posing with Mommy in the classroom

Proudly pointing at his name on his cubby

Ready to go home and have lunch

0 comments: