Saturday, May 29, 2010

Swimmer

I have to get better about giving blog space to Kyler. I know there is generally more news about Caden, but once in awhile something significant happens with Kyler and it's only fair I showcase his accomplishments as well.

Kyler has taken swimming lessons every summer for the past three years. He always loves being in the water but has not really progressed much. We started with Mommy & Me classes and then he progressed to his own group lesson. But this summer I really wanted him to be water safe. He was unable to get to the edge of the pool if he fell in. And, last summer, he got pulled into a pool accidentally and couldn't get out. I had to jump in, fully clothed, to rescue him. I was very determined to make sure this summer, even if he didn't have the perfect strokes, that he at least be able to get to the edge of the pool.

So I signed him up for a month of private lessons: four, 30-minute sessions. Greg was skeptical that it would be worth it but I have several friends who take their children to this swim school and have all been very satisfied. I thought it was worth it to at least do one month and see how it went.

Kyler's first session in May, he was not impressed. He told me he didn't want to go back. Apparently he didn't like having to listen, pay attention and follow instructions. But I told him he didn't have a choice and he had three more lessons. After the second lesson, Kyler informed me that he like Teacher Nick and that he wanted to go every day. Well, that is not really a possibility because that would be way too expensive. But he had two more lessons. After the third lesson I was definitely seeing progress but it still seemed like he was being defiant and unwilling to do certain things the teacher was asking of him. I spent some time talking to Kyler during the next week and I came to realize that Kyler can float and do well in the shallow end, but he said he would “sink in the deep end.” He really believed that he would sink if he swam in the deep end. So it turns out it was confidence, not defiance which was causing him not to follow instructions.

When I got to Kyler's final swim lesson, I talked to his teacher and told him about that. Nick agreed to stay in the shallow end and see how he did. It was amazing! Kyler was a completely different child. He willingly swam to his teacher across the pool as long as the water wasn't deep. He did so much in that last session I was thrilled. It was the best money we ever spent on swimming lessons! I would love to do another round in September just to follow up at the end of the summer. But in the meantime, we hope to get him in the pool as much as possible in the next couple months.



I told Kyler I would take him someplace special after swimming lessons and he chose Jamba Juice

He was so happy to show off his special treat :)


Here is a video showing Kyler's progression over the 4 weeks of private lessons. I'm so proud! :)

0 comments: