Friday, May 7, 2010

Warm Water Therapy

A few weeks ago I contacted our service coordinator at the Regional Center and asked if we could get Caden into warm water therapy. Easter Seals offers this program. Basically it is physical therapy in the water and I've heard incredible things about it so I was excited to get Caden into it. Our service coordinator said she would get it approved right away. Easter Seals contacted me the next week and we decided on a day/time that worked. I was told there might be a long waiting list so I was thrilled when they told me he could start on April 30.

Last Friday we took Caden to meet his therapist. They didn't get in the water because they like to be able to spend a little time with the client before jumping in the water with them. Caden has a male therapist which is a first for him. And he is normally very anxious around new people but he seemed to do okay with the PT so that was nice. They spent the session exploring the indoor therapy space and getting to know each other. Since Caden did pretty well with him I was optimistic that his first session in the water would go well.

Well, last night Caden had a bad night which is very unusual for him. He normally sleeps 12 hours or more straight through without a peep. But he was really fussy and unhappy during the night and I had to change multiple diapers which is also unusual at night. And he woke up for good on the early side as well. Things were not off to a good start. :( I got him ready and we headed to Easter Seals to get in the water. We arrived early and were ready to go when the therapist arrived and got set up. He came over and got Caden who immediately decided this wasn't a good thing.

The PT walked a few steps down a ramp into the water and sat down. He sat Caden down on the ramp in about 4 inches of water. He has more than that during bath time so that shouldn't have been a big deal. And since the water is warm that shouldn't have been a problem either. But I think he was just completely overwhelmed with the whole experience and he decided that he did NOT want to be there or participate in whatever torture this PT had in store for him. He just cried. I left the pool area (I could still see him through the glass but he couldn't see me) in hopes that if he didn't see me he would settle down and not try to get me to “save” him. But when that didn't seem to make a difference, I came back in and sat down on the side of the pool with him. With me there, he managed to tolerate about 15-20 minutes of sitting on the edge with his feet just touching the water. He played a tiny bit with a ball throwing it in the water and leaning to pick it up. But after awhile the PT thought we should just call it a day. He didn't want Caden to have really bad associations with the water on the first day. So we cut the session short halfway through and went home. Next week the PT wants us to start with 15 minutes inside before going into the pool to see if that makes a difference.

I am really excited about this therapy and think it has the potential to help Caden progress quickly. And, I think he will adjust, it is just going to take him time. It usually takes him a few weeks to really get used to a new person and a new situation. I am optimistic that he'll do better next week. And, I'm sure if he sleeps well the night before that will help! I'll try to take pictures next week to post. :)


P.S. Nurse #1 is back and things are going pretty smoothly. Caden is still adjusting to the constant change in care but I think he's doing better. And, I know that this nurse actually cares about Caden and his well-being. This isn't just a paycheck for her. She loves what she does and it shows. Thanks for your continued prayers!

0 comments: