Tuesday, February 14, 2012

CHD Awareness Week

February 7-14 marks Congenital Heart Defect Awareness Week. Last year, our Mended Little Hearts (MLH) support group in Sacramento put on a big community event to bring more awareness of our precious kids who have fought so hard. It was so great to be involved in something like that.


This year, I feel like the week kind of slipped by me without much notice. I suppose that is because we moved and I no longer have my support group to be involved with. I have been filling my time with unpacking, getting the kids settled into new routines, etc. But that makes me kind of sad. I miss being involved in a support group. I want to be a part of a group that helps each other but also brings awareness to the community around them.

I have made a couple contacts with other families in my small town who have children with CHD's so I suppose that is a start. Maybe this small town doesn't have a need for a support group. But I still feel there needs to be more awareness. I have another year before this week comes around again, so hopefully by then, I will figure out where/how to be involved!

In the meantime, our whole family wore red on the American Heart Association “Go Red” day – February 3. Caden, Kyler and I all kind of look alike. But that's because we all wore our Mended Little Hearts of Sacramento t-shirts. And, since we live where it's cold and it snows, we had to wear a long-sleeve shirt underneath so we wouldn't freeze! ;)





I appreciate your prayers as I look for a place to be involved and a way to bring awareness to CHD's in my small community.

0 comments: