Saturday, January 19, 2013

Skiing!

I can't believe both my babies went skiing for the first time on January 18! What is even more great about that is they both had such great attitudes. There was no whining, complaining or crying. If they fell down, they got right back up and tried again.


Kyler and Greg rode up to Ski Bluewood with some friends in the morning. Caden stayed and went to preschool in the morning and when he was done, I picked him up and we drove up to meet Greg and Kyler on the mountain. When Caden first heard Kyler was going skiing with Daddy, he said he wanted to go also. I was skeptical at first, but then figured that I know a lot of kids who started skiing when they were 3, so he would be fine. I told him it would depend on whether Daddy could take him or not. That meant it also depended on how well Kyler was doing and if Greg still needed to help him or not.




When we got there, Kyler was in a group lesson for an hour and a half, so Caden got his skis and boots and Greg took him right up the platter-pull. Every time he came down the bunny slope with Greg, he had a huge smile on his face! It was so adorable. The first time they came down, he said, “I want to go again!” 








When Kyler's lesson finished, he continued to go up and down the bunny slope all by himself. I could see him the whole time and enjoyed watching his confidence grow. He just goes straight down the hill in a snow plow. At some point he's going to need to figure out how to do turns. But for now he's happy and he's doing so well. He didn't stop skiing until they shut the lift down and he couldn't go any more. 




It was so fun to watch both the kids experience something new and exciting. I don't ski. I used to ski but I never truly enjoyed it. And with the chronic back issues I have now, I don't think it would be a good idea to start skiing again. However, I think it's great that the boys want to do it. It can be something they do together with Greg as they grow up. If I had started skiing when I was their age, I probably would like skiing also. We hope to get back up the mountain a few more times this winter for the kids to ski some more. 




0 comments: