Friday, January 16, 2009

A Day in the Life of NICU

Some of you may be wondering what it is like to have a baby in NICU. So I thought I would try to relate the realities of that experience. From the moment Caden was born, he was given an IV to “nourish” him with sugar water since he wasn't allowed to nurse. In addition, there are monitors/tubes/wires attached to him monitor respirations, blood pressure, pulse, etc. Then, once he was diagnosed with having the coarc, he was given a central line in through his belly button to give medication as well as TPN, “food” for him. So, at any given time, he has seven or eight (maybe more) tubes or wires connecting him to various pieces of equipment. And, in addition to that, he is currently undergoing phototherapy for his jaundice so he has to wear sunglasses to protect his eyes. And, this is with him doing well and being fairly stable! In addition to all this, because of the medication he is not very alert. He sleeps the majority of the time. Every once in awhile he will open his eyes for a minute or two and look around, but otherwise, he keeps them closed.

If we want to hold him, it can take several minutes for the nurse to turn off the light, take off the sunglasses, move all the necessary equipment close enough to one side of the bed so all the tubes and wires reach where we'll be sitting. Then she carefully picks him up, making sure not to pull on or remove any of the wires and transfers him to our arms. We get to hold him, but it's certainly not like being able to hold and love on a baby like we should be able to. We have to be so careful of everything attached to him, so it makes it a little impersonal. Then, when it's time to put him back in his bed, it's a reversal of all the above steps, sometimes taking the nurse longer to get everything back in order. Certainly not able to just go in and pick up your baby and snuggle them like we should be able to.

Anyway, we know he is in good hands and we are grateful for that. However, we are sad that we aren't able to love on him as we would like to. It's a challenging experience to say the least. But we are dealing with it the best we can. As a mother, it's awfully hard to not be able to pick up your baby whenever you want to. But when we are with him, we try to touch his skin as much as possible, whether it is caressing his arms and legs or stroking his chest. We talk to him as much as we can and Greg reads to him a lot. We want him to feel our presence and hear our voices since we can't connect with him as God intended.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Carey,
A dear friend of mine, Mary Green, sent me a link to your blog because we went through something similar with our baby 2 years ago. Chloe was born with Transposition of the Great Arteries, meaning her aorta and pulmonary arteries were switched. She nearly died before being airlifted to Childrens Hospital in Little Rock, AR when she was 6 weeks old. I just wanted to let you know that I understand the pain and stress you are going through. It's amazing how one's priorities can change in an instant, isn't it? I remember how bereft I felt not being able to hold her whenenver I wanted. After she came out of open heart surgery, I counted 26 wires, tubes, lines, and monitors attached to her. It broke my heart. However, it's amazing how fast babies recover and heal from surgeries like that! Chloe just turned 2 years old right before Christmas, and she is bright-eyed and full of laughter and life. Other than the scars on her chest, you would never know anything had ever been wrong. So I hope that gives you some hope through this dark time. I know how exhausted you are but if you ever need an understanding ear, please feel free to get in touch with me. My email is: dmburk@leru.net

Take care and I'm praying for you guys,
Michelle

Andrea said...

Hi,
I'm not sure how I ended up at your blog, but I've been quietly following along for a while now. I just wanted you to know that I'm praying for your baby as well. I'm a heart mom from Sacramento and my son had his third open heart surgery at Stanford this past May. It sounds like you've been through this before with your older son, but if there is anything I can do to help I'd be happy to. Our blog is http://himmelberger.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

He's beautiful and looks much like Greg did in his first baby pictures.

Dad and I are praying for Caden constantly as are many of our friends and church family. We were praying in Medford during the annointing as were George and Bonnie Knight and John and Carolyn Houghton.

We've put our trust and Caden in God's hands which is the best place to be.

Love - Mom (Grandma Mary)

Anonymous said...

Hi Carey and Greg--
Awhile back I heard from somewhere about your move to Stanford. Since then you have been in my thoughts and prayers and tonight when I called your home phone your mother answered and she brought me up to date and gave me your blog address so here I am thankful for the update and for your blog. Be assured that my prayers now will be more focused with a great deal of gratitude for the Lord's sustaining presence for all of you as Caden's story unfolds. It is Friday evening here in Porland OR, so a wish for a Happy Sabbath too. God is good! --Harold Burden
hoburden@earthlink.net