Wednesday, January 28, 2009

More about Today

After talking with the CVICU attending physician, I realize Caden was in full cardiac arrest. I have now been in to see him, however, I was unable to look at the open chest. So I had them cover it with a piece of gauze (yes I am a wimp!). The poor thing is covered in iodine and looks a complete mess. But as long as he is stable, that is okay. In the doctors' terms, he is critical but stable.

It's been a very hard afternoon. Emotionally draining and physically exhausting. Greg is here now and I am glad for that. One of the hardest things for me is that I feel like we're back to square one or further back than when we started. Yesterday, Caden was off almost all his medications and had many of his tubes out. Now, he has a catheter again, and is back on many medications as well as nitric oxide. It just feels like we took HUGE leaps backwards today.

In talking to the attending, she said they were as surprised as me that this happened. They said there were no indicators that there would be any kind of arrest like this. She said she feels very good about how quickly CPR was started and says the chance of permanent brain damage from lack of oxygen is low. But, the fact remains, that there is a chance because his oxygen levels were so low. But there is no way for us to know until they allow him to come off the sedation. They said they will plan on leaving his chest open until tomorrow for sure and will probably be able to close it at that time. But she said there are cases where they leave the chest open as long as a week. Hopefully we're not in that situation. Any way we look at it, it appears our stay here will not be ending any time too soon.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry you guys have had such a dramatic day.

Tamra

Anonymous said...

My heart just stopped when I read your story. I'm so sorry things are going backward rather than forward. I pray for you everyday!

Love, Jenny Whitney

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry. That was more than hard to have happen. I feel so sad for you. I know it seems as though that it won't end. Hang in there. You have so many people carrying you through this.

Anonymous said...

Carrie & Greg,

Caden is our Miracle baby. God is good & still in control. He will give you the strength & faith to carry you thru. All of you are constantly in our prayers.

All our love,

The Thatchers

Melinda said...

Carey,

Your CBS sisters are here lifting you, Caden and the family up in prayer. We love you and pray that God's peace covers over you.

Joshua 1:9 "Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."

I am here if you need anything.

Peace and love,

Melinda Haworth

Andrea said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this emergency. Thank goodness the doctors were able to start CPR immediately. I had some friends pray for your family tonight. I hope you find some comfort in knowing that many, many people are praying for your little family.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to learn of this set back. Just wanted you to know that ever since you had asked for prayer in the AH newsletter, you've had people in the AH Ontario Regional office praying for Caden and your family. Today I'm praying the Lord will continue to grow Caden healthy and strong and that this will be a mere hurdle on his path to full health. I'm also praying that the God of all Comfort will be your strength and peace. That He will continue to provide all that you need during this difficult time. In His Love, Andrea

Anonymous said...

Carey and Greg,
Up early this morning for a season of prayer for you and Caden and Kyler and your family. God of Wonders beyond our galaxy is Holy and true...I felt His presence in the CVICU last night so strongly that I was reminded of the story "Footprints in the Sand." Do you remember it?

Thinking of you all day...love.

Nelli Webster

Anonymous said...

I am praying for your family!

Fer said...

Many, many prayers for you and Caden!
Love,
Fer