Saturday, July 17, 2010

Shriner's

On Tuesday this last week I had to take Caden to an appointment at Shriner's Hospital regarding his scoliosis. This was our 2nd visit, the 1st being in June of 2009. It started out a little frustrating due to scheduling. We were assigned a 7:45 appointment for x-ray followed by an 8 o'clock doctor visit. I called the office the previous week to confirm when I needed to arrive. They told me I needed to be there at 7:30 and to go straight to x-ray. I double-checked that information with them to make sure I had heard correctly because I remember last year we had to go through a check-in process first. They assured me that was the case.

So I woke Caden up early and loaded him into the car. Thankfully I didn't have Kyler to take with me as well! We arrived at 7:30 and went straight to x-ray. When I got there, the receptionist commented on how early I was and I told her I was just following directions. But when she tried to look Caden up, she said we hadn't checked in yet so I needed to go take care of that first. Grrrr, frustration!

I went back to the check-in area only to be informed by a volunteer that the staff in that area wouldn't be there until 8 due to a staff meeting. Seriously??? So I had to sit there and wait for half an hour with Caden before we could even check in. :( I was not happy about that!

Finally got the x-ray taken and went back to wait for the orthopedic doc. He reviewed last year's x-ray with the one taken that day to see if the scoliosis had progressed or stayed the same. He said the degree of curvature in 2009 was 17 degrees and this year is was 20 degrees. So, on the surface it appeared to have gotten worse. However, he said in his opinion there had been no change due to 2 factors: 1) The technique was different. Last year he was laying down and this year he was standing up for the x-ray. Standing is the preferred method if possible because it shows the scoliosis at it's “worst” due to gravity. 2) There is a 3-5 degree rate of error with imaging technology. So, because the degree change was 3 degrees, he said there was no change and this was a good thing.

He ordered an MRI of the spine to be done in the next 6 months so we are in the process of getting that approved and in place at UC Davis. And, I learned there is a difference between congenital scoliosis (what Caden has) and idiopathic scoliosis (seen more often in older children). According to the doc, with congenital scoliosis the spine is more stiff and is more likely to require surgery at a younger age. He said right now he is putting the odds of Caden needing surgery at 50/50 but he will be able to say more specifically after he has the MRI. In addition, the surgeries for congenital scoliosis are done at a much younger age; typically between the ages of 3-5. I had always thought if he did need surgery for this, it would be when he was much older and something I didn't have to think about until later. But I now know it will be in the next few years if he needs it. :(

Right now we wait for the pre-certification process with insurance and scheduling the procedure. We'll know more sometime in the next 6 months what we can expect down the road. We are praying he will not require another surgery! Poor thing has been through so much already.

0 comments: