Thursday, November 17, 2011

Boring Heart?

Thursday, November 17, Caden had an echo. At his regular cardiology appointment in October, his doctor had some possible concerns about what might be going on. I talked about this in a previous post. The tech isn't allowed to tell us anything about what she sees, so we have to wait for a follow-up with Dr. Van Gundy to find out if there truly is anything to be concerned about or not.


But I have to say I was dreading the appointment because the last echo he had was really stressful. He wouldn't hold still and was squirming around and crying and not behaving at all. It made it really hard on me. But this time around, I talked to him quite a bit about it all day before the appointment. I told him it wasn't going to hurt and that he just had to hold still long enough for them to get good pictures of his heart. And I think what closed the deal for him was knowing he got a sticker at the end if he did a good job! :) So easy to please, I tell you!

He was happy to lay down quietly on the table while the echo tech did the ultrasound. He held perfectly still and didn't talk or cry at all. When it was all done, he sat up and asked for his sticker. I love this kid! As long as he understands something isn't going to hurt him, he almost always behaves beautifully. And right now he has a big obsession with stickers and will do just about anything for them. Great to have as a bribery tool when necessary...


The funny part about the whole thing is that apparently the time slot for his echo was double-booked. The other child was a little girl who was probably 5-6 years old. The tech came out and told us she was sorry for the inconvenience but she wanted to take the little girl first because she thought it would go really fast since older kids are usually easier. Well, that didn't exactly go as she planned. The little girl screamed and cried during the whole thing and it took much longer than she anticipated. It was fine for us to wait, it just made me laugh when Caden was such an angel. She told me she's never had a 2-year-old behave as well as he did. :) That's my boy!

0 comments: