Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Feeding Himself???

I can hardly even believe what I am writing! Tonight, November 16, for the first time in his entire life, Caden spoon-fed himself! It all came about following this conversation:

Caden: “Apple, Mommy. Apple.”
Me: “Do you want to eat an apple?”
Caden: “Yeah.”
Me: “Will you eat applesauce if I give it to you?”
Caden: “Yeah.”
Me: “Okay. Will you feed yourself if I get it for you?”
Caden: “Yeah.”
Me: “All right.”

So I get the applesauce out of fridge and sit him down in his booster seat with a spoon and small bowl. To my COMPLETE shock and joy, he actually dipped the spoon in the applesauce and put it in his mouth. There was no complaining or gagging. Nothing! Incredible!

In the past, he has asked me for various food items, but when I question him as to whether or not he will actually eat it, he always tells me “NO!” And at times he will wait until I get the food out for him before he says “no” and runs away. This time was different. When he took the first bite, I cheered so loud for him and he got a huge grin on his face. You could tell how proud he was. My parents were here as well and they were cheering also. He totally loved the response and kept going!

What a day! I can only hope and pray this is a turning point for him in regards to eating. I would love for him to start feeding himself but time will tell. At this moment I am just completely overjoyed with the small step he took in the right direction. I am such a proud mommy right now!!!




0 comments: