Thursday, January 26, 2012

Parent-Teacher Conference

Wednesday, January 25 I had my first parent-teacher conference with Kyler's new Kindergarten teacher. I was really looking forward to it because for the first three weeks of school I felt VERY out of the loop! I was getting Kyler to/from school but beyond that I don't really know the routine, or what was expected of me as a parent. I feel like I am letting Kyler down because I don't really know what's going on. I didn't know when show and tell was or what he was supposed to bring and he would be sad because he was the only kid who didn't bring something. :(


Thankfully at this conference, I was able to get some answers. Mrs. Schafer gave me a packet of information which included an all-school calendar, a show and tell schedule, a field trip schedule, hot lunch menu, etc. Boy I finally feel equipped to know what is happening!

In addition, I talked to her about the possibility of volunteering in class and when she needed help. She told me Tuesday and Thursday mornings between 9:30-11 am are the times when she needs the most help. So I told her I would look into finding childcare for Caden on Thursday mornings so I could help out then.

She didn't really do an evaluation for Kyler because we came in the middle of the quarter. But she did go through some of the testing with him just to get a better feel for where he was at academically. She said she was really impressed with how well he was doing, especially with math. That is one of Kyler's strengths! From a very young age, he has been good with numbers. She commented that he was able to correctly indicate the total value for several coins. He was one of about 3 in the class of 26 who could do that. So that makes me one very proud mommy! :)

I am just glad to have more information so I can be a better Kindergarten parent!

0 comments: