Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Halloween

For Halloween this year I thought it would be fun for the kids to dress up as “Gilligan” and “The Skipper” from Gilligan's Island TV show. I figured costumes would be pretty easy and most adults would recognize who they were even if the other kids didn't. I had shirts and pants for both kids and just needed hats. My amazing friend, Holly (who is also a photographer, and dental hygienist) is a seamstress as well. She agreed to make hats for both the boys. And she made a white collar to go on Kyler's red polo shirt.


I decided Kyler would be Gilligan because he had a long-sleeved red polo shirt already and Caden would be The Skipper because he had a short-sleeved blue polo shirt. So Holly made an adorable khaki hat for Kyler to wear and a cute little blue sailor cap for Caden. They were awesome!


"The Skipper" and "Gilligan"


During lunchtime, Caden and I were at the hospital where Greg works and were in the cafeteria. Caden was dressed in his costume except for his cap (which he refused to wear at that time). So he is in a blue polo shirt and khaki pants and blue shoes which doesn't really look much like a costume. Caden walks up to a random lady who was there and says, “I'm the stripper.” The poor lady got this shocked and surprised look on her face. There was a long pause before she said, “You're what?!” I came to her rescue and said, “He is “The Skipper” from Gilligan's Island, the TV show.” She immediately looked incredibly relieved and said, “Oh!” It was quite hysterical from my point of view. That was not the first time Caden referred to himself as the stripper as opposed to the skipper. I kept trying to correct him and he would get it right for a short time but then revert to the stripper. But this was the first time he walked up to a random stranger and announced this. I got a good laugh out of it for sure! :)

We decided to go trick or treating in downtown Walla Walla instead of going around our neighborhood. All the businesses there provide treats for the kids in the afternoon from 3-5 pm. So, there are hoardes of parents and children dressed up and lined up from one end of Main Street to the other. It was a little crazy to say the least! I'm not sure what was going on with Caden but he was super grumpy today also. So we only got a little ways down the way before he started crying about something. He had a tough time the rest of the way. But Kyler was enjoying it so much I didn't want to short-change him. So we stuck it out. I'm not sure I will attempt doing it again by myself next year. If I do go, I want Greg or another parent to be with me. Might make it more fun for everyone.


We survived trick or treating, came home and the kids had some candy after I made them take a few more pictures in their costumes with their pumpkins. It was a very long and busy day!

Kyler's pumpkin lit up

 Caden's pumpkin lit up

0 comments: