Monday, March 25, 2013

Cheryl's 50th Birthday

My sister, Cheryl, turned 50 on March 25. My brother-in-law, Kent, my mom and I, all worked together to throw her a surprise party on the 23rd. Keep in mind she is almost impossible to surprise about anything. She is just one of those detail-oriented people who picks up on everything without even trying.


She came across a few things that made her suspicious and it was hard to throw her off the track. However, despite her knowing there was probably going to be a party of some kind, she was still surprised at how big the party was, certain people that were able to be there, and the theme of the party.

Cheryl is a hand therapist, so we decided to do a “hand” theme. My friend, Holly, the photographer, was a huge help! She took some pictures of my hands and of Kyler and Caden's hands which we were able to use for the invitations, a banner for the party, and for magnets to hand out to guests. My sister also has celiac so we found a baker who could make a gluten-free cake and cupcakes for the party, and as a bonus, she made the cake into the shape of a hand! We had tons of food for everyone, including a chocolate fountain for dipping fruit, marshmallows, and pretzels. 







We blew up latex gloves for decorations and for people to color with markers. Cheryl chose her favorite “balloon” and the winner won a potted daffodil plant. In addition, I made a special “hand” gift for Cheryl including the handprints of her family (I added her hand the night of the party) in a frame. And we had the party guests sign the matte around the handprints.


The location of the party was also special. Kent chose to have it at the Blackwell Hotel, which is a bed and breakfast in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. This happens to be the place Cheryl and Kent spent their wedding night almost 21 years ago! And Kent booked a room for them to spend the night after the party. The location was incredible! The manager was amazing and helped us so much with all the details! And overall, the party was a huge success, even if Cheryl was on to us! :)

 (L-R): Me, My Mom (in back), Cheryl, Shelly

 Cheryl's Family (L-R):
Melissa, Cheryl, Kent, Rylan


 My Dad, Cheryl, My Mom

 Our Family!

My gift to Cheryl
Handprints: Red=Rylan, Blue=Melissa,
Yellow=Cheryl, Orange=Kent

Happy 50th birthday Cheryl! We love you!

0 comments: