Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter

For Easter this year, we kept things fairly low-key. We had the opportunity to attend a large get together at a local park like we did last year. But with the way I've been feeling, I wasn't up to being around large groups of people. In addition, I didn't want to risk exposing Caden to an illness of any kind so close to surgery. Instead, I made plans to get together with one other family for lunch and an egg hunt in the afternoon.


Starting 12 days before Easter, I started the “Resurrection Eggs” with the kids. These eggs tell the story of Jesus in the Bible and use an object in each egg to symbolize something of importance that took place during the Easter weekend. I do this every year and we open one egg each day and read the passages from the Bible. We open the last egg on Easter morning and talk about the whole thing with the kids. It really helps them better understand the true meaning of Easter.


Saturday afternoon, I colored eggs with the kids. I figured they would have fun partaking in the traditional Easter celebrations also. Caden is a little young to hold onto the eggs well, and dropped the first one he picked up on the table and cracked it. So, after that I had to help him with his eggs. But Kyler did a great job this year and was fairly independent. It was quite nice! They had a fun time but I was glad when it was done. 




Later on Saturday, I made Easter cookies with the kids. I did this two years ago with Kyler. I thought Caden was too young to participate at that time. But this year I included both of them. I like how it walks the kids through the Biblical account of Jesus death and resurrection. Here is an example if you want to try it with your kids next year.

 The supplies

"Beating" the pecans 

Getting ready to put the cookies in the oven

Ready to open the "seal" on the tomb 

The cookie is hollow inside - He is Risen!

Easter morning we all slept in, ate a late breakfast and relaxed. Well, Greg went on a 76-mile bike ride! But the kids and I took it easy. Kyler went outside to ride his bike and came running back inside to tell me he found the eggs I hid in the front yard. This was quite a surprise to me because I hadn't hidden any eggs, and definitely not in the front yard. Of course Kyler didn't believe me when I told him this. He thought I was teasing. I finally had him take me outside to show me, and sure enough. There were 6 large plastic eggs, and by the front door, there was a box of 5 Hot Wheels cars. Kyler was so excited about all of this! I have no idea who did this for us, but it was incredibly sweet and we are so appreciative. The kids thought it was the neatest thing that someone would do this for us. So, if you are the one who “egged” our front yard on Easter, we thank you! It made the kid's day!

Showing off the Hot Wheels found in our yard

Unfortunately our Easter plans with the other family had to change because their kids were sick and we just couldn't risk Caden catching anything. So we ended up going to another family's house and doing an egg hunt with their kids. We followed that up with a lunch of egg salad sandwiches. 

 The kids with their Easter baskets from us

 The kids on the hunt for some eggs

 Caden showing off his basket of loot

Overall we had a good Easter, but it was very low-key and low stress. I think that is just what the doctor ordered for us!

0 comments: