Saturday, October 2, 2010

Crash

I guess things weren't busy enough or stressful enough at our house because now we've added another stressor on top of everything else. While Greg was riding his bicycle to work on Monday morning, he was hit by a car. Praise God he was not injured more seriously than he was. However, his right shoulder took the brunt of the impact and completely tore the AC joint, resulting in a “separated” shoulder. Basically the ligament that holds the collar bone in place and holds the shoulder up is torn. So Greg's collar bone can be pushed up and down (quite frankly it really creeps me out!) and there is a significant drop on his right shoulder.

We are so incredibly grateful his injuries were not worse. He did not hit his head. In fact when I looked at the helmet I couldn't even see any scratches on it. And, he didn't break any bones. But this particular injury might mean surgery for him. He has consultations with two different orthopedic surgeons next week so hopefully we will know better at that point. But we are very concerned about trying to get him back in as good a condition as possible. He is way too physically active to have something like this slow him down. We want to make sure we pursue all possible options to get him as healthy as we can.

In the meantime, things have definitely changed at our house. There are fewer things that Greg can do on his own. I need to help him with more and it means I have less hands to help with the kids also. So, not only am I a “parent down”, I have added one to the number of people I have to “care” for. God is good and I know we will get through this but I welcome your prayers!

Here are a couple pics of his road rash – it's actually not too bad considering what he went through! Although he was wearing his favorite jersey at the time and it got several holes in it. I think he was more upset about that than the shoulder injury! ;)


0 comments: