Thursday, April 19, 2012

Preschool Visitation

On Wednesday, April 18, I took Caden to do a preschool visitation at the Walla Walla University Child Development Preschool. It is located on the University campus and I've heard great things about the program. They have a full-time director and the rest of the staff is made up of University students; most of them education, early childhood development, or psychology majors.


We spent some time observing the classroom and watching the kids play and do different activities. Then I talked to the director about various concerns I had. When I left, I felt so confident this was the right environment for Caden.

I feel pretty strongly about him attending preschool. He needs the social piece more than most kids. The first three years of his life were spent almost exclusively in one kind of therapy or another. That left little time for playing or socializing with other kids his age. The only other child he was around regularly was Kyler and he isn't the best influence. Besides that, he is older and plays differently than a younger child would.

Poor Caden doesn't have any friends his age. He never had the opportunity to develop any friendships because he was too busy with therapies. Now that life has finally slowed down a bit, I think it is important for him to learn how to play with his peers. This setting seems like the perfect place for him to learn to play with others and develop some independence. He will attend 3 mornings/week starting in September. I can hardly wait!

0 comments: