Monday, December 29, 2008

Ultrasound Etc.

Today, December 29, we had another non-stress test and ultrasound. As usual, Caden looked great on the NST. We had our ultrasound immediately following that and I was anxious to know how much he had grown since our last ultrasound almost 2 weeks ago. At that time, Caden weighed 4 lb, 11 oz at 35 weeks. Now, today at 37 weeks (and 12 days since the last ultrasound), he weighs 5 lb, 10 oz. So, he gained 1/2 pound/week which is typical weight gain at this point in the pregnancy. That was great news for me to hear. That means, if he keeps it up, he will weigh over 6 pounds when I get to 38 weeks. Also, the ultrasound technician mentioned that it's very likely he weighs more than the ultrasound shows because they take the weight from measuring the circumference of the abdomen. And, because part of Caden's liver is not in the abdomen, it makes the circumference smaller than it would be otherwise. So, if anything, he weighs more than 5.10 right now.

My OB/perinatologist came in to review the ultrasound with us and thought things looked good. Even though Caden is only 15th percentile, she was okay with that. When the ultrasound tech asked if we needed to schedule another scan in 2 weeks and the doctor said it wouldn't be necessary because I wouldn't still be pregnant in 2 weeks. She said since she was my doctor, she could make that decision. She said we could talk about dates to induce if I hadn't had Caden by a certain point. I told her I thought a birthday of 1.9.09 sounded like a good date, so she said she would make a "reservation" for that. That would make me 38 1/2 weeks. So, unless Caden comes before then, he will be born on the 9th. I would really like to make it to that point, so I am going to stick to my bed rest and aim for that day.

So, right now, we have NST's scheduled for the 31st, the 5th, and the 7th. And, we see our doctor this Wednesday, the 31st. And, if nothing else changes in the meantime, we will have Caden on the 9th. We'll try to keep everyone posted as things progress. After our appointment on Wednesday, we might have more details on all our doctor's reasoning for wanting to induce earlier than 40 weeks. We'll let you know what we find out. Thank you for your prayers as we start the final countdown.

1 comments:

Darcy said...

Yeah Caden! I am so glad he is staying put and you are doing good. 1/9/09 sounds good. I can't remember all the reasoning, but I had a scheduled c-section and the doctors took Owen at about 38 weeks and 3-4 days. According to the perinatologist and the surgeon it was the "optimum" time for lung growth/strength. It's amazing to me that they know those details.
I'll be praying that he stays put until the 9th!
darcy