Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Teaching About Malawi

I found out Kyler's class was learning about the country of Malawi and I was so excited. It just so happens I was born in Malawi while my parents were missionaries there. In addition, I also went back as a student missionary while I was in college and worked in an orphanage for babies. I mentioned this to his teacher, and of course she asked me to come talk to the class about my experience. I really do not like getting up in front of people, but I figured I could handle a group of 1st and 2nd graders! So I agreed.


February 27 was the day! I brought in a few carvings I brought back with me, along with some pictures of my time there. And I brought a chief chair for the kids to take turns sitting in. At the end I let them take turns trying on a caftan (formal dress). I think they enjoyed that part more than anything else. But it was fun to be able to share my experience with the kids. I love Malawi and it was neat to be able to share that with them. 

 Kyler and I wearing caftans

 Caden had to try it on too!

 Mrs. Wessman and me

0 comments: