Thursday, September 8, 2011

Dentist

On Wednesday, September 7, I took both the boys to the dental office. We are fortunate to have a friend from church who is a pediatric dentist. This makes the whole dental office experience much less scary because they see him at church and have been to his house.

Kyler has been a few times now and usually does really well, after all, he gets to watch a movie while the hygienist is cleaning his teeth. For him it doesn't get much better than that!

Caden on the other hand had never had a dental exam before. I have been putting it off for a long time due to all the oral aversion issues he has. The last thing I wanted to do was make his oral issues worse! So instead of scheduling a cleaning and exam, I just had him scheduled for an exam. I figured that would be a good place to start. That being said, he actually likes to have his teeth brushed but I didn't know how he would feel with someone other than me doing it.

During Kyler's turn, Caden stood by and watched everything that was going on. I talked to him about what they were doing to Kyler to help him feel more comfortable. Then when it came time for Caden's exam, Dr. Chris had me hold Caden on my lap and then lean him back onto a pillow he had on his lap. That way he had the security of being with me yet Dr. Chris could still see in his mouth.

I couldn't believe how well Caden did with the exam. He didn't cry, complain or clamp his mouth closed tight. He lay very still and opened his mouth wide so the dentist could look inside.

Overall both boys did great. I am very proud of both of them! :)

Kyler having his teeth cleaned

Caden watching everything going on around him

Dr. Chris checking Kyler's teeth

Caden with Dr. Chris after his exam (I couldn't take a picture of the exam because I was holding Caden) He was still smiling so I would call that a success!

0 comments: