Thursday, September 29, 2011

Volunteering

In September I got to volunteer in Kyler's classroom a couple times. It is very complicated for me to arrange that due to Caden's extremely hectic schedule, especially with his feedings. So I was really glad to be able to do it twice.

It is a lot of fun for me to see what kind of things they do in Kindergarten vs. what he did in preschool. Every day when I pick Kyler up from school, I always ask him what his three favorite things from the day were. This helps me get a better idea of what he likes.

Very often he tells me that math is his favorite thing. But there are some days when they don't do math. On Fridays, he almost always tells me that Chapel is one of his favorites. Every Friday, the whole school meets in the church for chapel where they sing, pray and have fellowship/worship time. It truly touches my heart that he loves that time.

And, if they had time to work on the computer that day, that is usually in the list of favorites for the day also. His school has an awesome computer learning program which allows the kids to work at their own pace on several different categories and work through different levels. The teacher can then review reports on how each child is doing and it helps her identify areas in which they might be struggling so she can work with them one-on-one in that area. It is very cool and I love it! Kyler was a little skeptical at first but as soon as he completed his first level and he could see his progress being measured he got really excited and motivated to keep doing more. :)

Have I mentioned how much I love his school and his teacher? If not, I will say it now. His school is phenomenal and his teacher is absolutely amazing! She really helped Kyler work through some behavior issues in the first few weeks of school and he is doing so much better now. She has a very special talent for working with these kids and I am so grateful to have Kyler in her class.

Kyler and two of his classmates focusing hard on the work at hand

Kyler and another student working on the computer learning program with a little help from their teacher

Playing "firemen" at recess with their teacher

Using cubes to measure length - Kyler loves this kind of thing!

0 comments: