Friday, October 14, 2011

Neurology

On Friday, October 14, Caden had a routine follow-up appointment with his neurologist. I am happy to report it went very well. Dr. Asaikar is very good at what he does and has a great reputation in the community. It is amazing to me how in only a few minutes of observing Caden, he can make incredibly accurate statements about how he is doing.

Most of Caden's life he has really struggled with anxiety, particularly in a clinical setting. It could be a doctor's office, hospital, etc. I'm sure it is the “white coat syndrome” due to all the medical stuff he has been put through. But as he has gotten older, I have been able to talk to him about what is going to happen at the doctor's office and let him know they aren't going to hurt him, etc. Once he was around 2 years old, that made a HUGE difference for him.

I could tell him we were going to see the GI doctor and she was going to look at his tube and listen to his chest and back to make sure he sounded okay but she wasn't going to hurt him. He would listen to me and say, “okay.” I could tell him we were going to see the cardiologist and he was just going to listen to his heart and lungs but it wouldn't hurt and Caden would say, “okay.” But if I forgot to tell him where we were going or why, and we went into a doctor's office, he would visibly tense up and start clinging to me. It was amazing the difference.

So while we waited in the exam room for the neurologist, Caden played happily and talked to me. When the doctor came in he commented immediately about how Caden's anxiety seemed to have gone away because he was still calm and relaxed.

Then, he told me he wants to continue to see Caden on a yearly basis because he is “intrigued” by him. When I probed a little more to find out exactly what he meant by that, he indicated that Caden is very advanced and he can't explain it. He said that based on all he has been through, he would not expect Caden to be doing as well as he is. When I asked if he thought that was because of his therapies, he said no. He said it was more than that. But he can't explain it. He said if we are unable to bring Caden back to see him every year that he at least wants us to send a picture of him and a letter describing everything that he is doing so that he can continue to follow him.  I guess he's figuring out what we've known all along: that Caden is VERY special!

Dr. Asaikar might not have an explanation for how well Caden is doing, but I do: God. God is the only way I can explain a lot of things when it comes to Caden. But it's hard to explain that to a medical doctor because they are looking at things from a different perspective. At any rate, I am thrilled with the good report and to know that Caden is actually advanced in something. What a blessing! He truly is our miracle!

0 comments: